To develop students’ basic practical communication abilities such as listening and speaking, deepening the understanding of language and culture, and fostering a positive attitude toward communication through English.
1) Language Activities: Listening, Speaking, Reading & Writing
2) Situations and Functions:
Situations where fixed expressions are often used and which are relevant to student’s life
Functions which are commonly used in daily communication
3) Vocabulary and Topics: That draw on simple vocabulary and terms and communicative Expressions related to students’ feelings and familiar happenings and that relate to the daily lives, manners and customs, stories, geography, history, etc. of the country they are in (i.e. Singapore) and the peoples of the world, focusing on countries that use English.
4) Language Elements: Speech Sounds, Grammatical Items: Sentence Patterns, tenses,
Evaluation Criteria and methods:
Homework is checked for completeness, accuracy, and/or understanding
Class work is evaluated overall by the teacher; quizzes, multiple choice, short answers and/or open-response items are given as needed to check comprehension and development of skills
Monthly test consists of multiple choice, short answer
Completion test (to be issued certificates) is a combination of proficiency and achievement tests
* Qualitative and quantitative assessments are made on students throughout the course. The qualitative one is the overall evaluation by class teacher and the quantitative one is the students?performance in the monthly test. To proceed to the higher level in English, students are required to get average score of 70 throughout the course and get 75 in the test taken at the end of the previous course.
TEACHER-STUDENT RATIO is 1:20
|Minimum Age||Academic qualification||Proficiency Level||Course Outcomes||Duration||Mode of delivery||Awarding Body|
|9 years||A pass in Primary 5 Level Education in home country||Obtained 10-30 marks in JE Educational College English Placement test||Certificate||Full-time/
|Classroom-based teaching||JE Educational College|